Destination: San Ignacio
We are now inland in San Ignacio. Tomorrow we make our way to Guatemala and intend to stop in Tikal along the way. The ride to San Ignacio comprised what could possibly be the worst experience of my life.
Destination: San Ignacio
Departure point: Belize City
Transportation: Yellow School Bus (not yellow) and 40 miles of decent 1 lane road followed by 30 miles of dirt road.
Length: 3.5 hrs

2 hours of the ride involved having all our junk on our laps as there was only standing room available. I got to become intimately familiar with several individuals who kept stepping on my feet and had a delightful odor that comprised a mixture of BO, garbage, moth balls, and $#!7.
San Ignacio is not too bad a place though. There are several Mayan ruins in the area and yesterday we went up and checked out Cahal Pech. Today we were going to make our way to Xunantunich, however the river is flooded and we can't get to the site. Most things are closed today and we didn't plan for anything besides those ruins so we're sort of puttering about town.
Anyhow, we're working on sending heat North.

3 Comments:
phew... you two move too fast for me to keep up!
as I was doing some looking into places in guatemala I came across one of the coffee names from my days at Second Cup... I think that you should try and find employment picking the coffee so you can come back and say you had a hand in it. :) I also was excited because I remembered how to pronouce it (way-way-tenango).
Anyway, I think you should check it out... this site says that they have a wide range of dress and manufacture textiles as well as firworks! (wonder why that would interest me...)
http://www.enjoyguatemala.com/huehuetenango.htm
Happy travels~
Michelle
Hey Dan and Lori,
Sounds like things are getting off to a good start. I'm looking forward to the worst and best moments as they come. :) Things are heating up down here (getting into the 30+ days). A trip to the East coast is looking possible while you are down under, we just need to sort out a location.
Cheers,
Stefan
Hey guys,
I know you're on vacation and all that, but you're not working hard enough on sending heat north. Focus man, focus!! But good to see you guys having a good time. Gotta keep those "Worst moments" and "Best moments" up to date too.
lates
Pat
Post a Comment
<< Home